If you’ve been reading the blog for a while or know me personally, then you know that I am pretty darn low maintenance when it comes to my beauty routine. In fact, I don’t have a routine. I don’t wake up and put a face of makeup on (and let me be clear, it’s totally cool if you do), I’ve just never really put the effort into knowing what to do, and I sure don’t want to take the time to do it!
For me, a little mascara, some moisturizer, and tinted chapstick are my go-to’s. In fact, besides some weddings (in the past) and maybe a fancy dinner, I haven’t worn mascara at all. It’s been refreshing if you’re wondering. SO, over the past couple of years, I’ve actually learned some tricks along the way and wanted to share them with you.
*Also note, that whatever products I’ve included in this post, I’ve personally used and recommend you try!*
Let the Beauty Hacks Commence!
1. Apply coconut oil to your eyelashes at night before you go to sleep! Trust me. This helps them grow naturally, softens them, and sometimes it even looks like you’re already wearing mascara the next morning.
And this coconut oil doesn’t need to be fancy. You can just get a jar at any grocery store. Don’t worry about all these fancy products with great branding (I’m such a sucker for great branding though, so trust me, I know).
2. Too lazy to wash your face at night? We’ve all been there. Keep face wipes in your nightstand and remove your makeup there. You won’t feel guilty about leaving your makeup on and it also won’t stain your pillowcases. I must say that because I’m super passionate about skincare, I almost always try to wash my face every night (morning too). BUT, we’ve all been drunk and who wants to stand there doing their skincare routine?
3. I am the queen of not washing my hair, lol. I’m such a fan of putting it up in a bun or using dry shampoo. So this should come as no surprise that I’m recommending it. I’m sure most of you have used it at this point. Because who really has the time to wash their hair every day? Is this just me?
I don’t think it’s great to wash your hair every day anyway (did I just make this up?). Why not use dry shampoo when you’re lazy and short on time? It brings your roots back to life and they typically come in really great scents.
4. All-in-one products are a life and time saver. If I do go the extra mile for going out with the girls or date night, I’ll use my favourite tinted gel cream from bare minerals. It’s got a little coverage, it’s dewy, moisturizing and it’s got SPF (which we know is crucial). Any chance I can skip steps and combine products that don’t stuff my makeup bag is a win in my books.
*The two middle products below, are 2 that I haven’t tried BUT have heard amazing things about them. bare minerals will always be a favourite of mine.*
5. This next one has been a game-changer for me. When I worked in retail, I was on my feet all. damn. day. So, you know my feet hated me. I still do this trick every now and then because it works.
Apply peppermint moisturizer or Vaseline to your feet and then put on some thick, comfy socks! Crawl into bed and go to sleep! You will wake up with the softest feet and feel like a goddess. At least I feel like a goddess with smooth feet. I’ve also tried those feet masks from Sephora. They’re so funny to put on and feel weird, but they really work!
6. I’m a huge fan of beach waves, but I don’t like putting in the effort and just don’t know how to use a wand. My friends will attest that they do my hair every time we go out, LOL!
I haven’t used a heating tool in YEARS. I saw the damage it was doing and just needed to let the hair breathe. SO, for the past few years, I’ve been letting it do its thing. I don’t use a blow dryer (in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever used one – except at the salon). Air drying my hair is the move. I use a little bit of my favourite oil from Eva NYC (argan oil is perfect too) and I spritz some sea salt into it.
If you don’t even have time for that, I also like to twist my hair with my fingers and then tuck the ends into my bra strap. I do this while I’m getting ready to leave the house or I’m driving in the car.
NOW, this might just work for me and my party people with super fucking fine/thin hair. SO, for all y’all who have thicker, curlier hair, just give it a go for a morning and try the argan oil thing. Rub a little bit between your hands and smooth out the frizzies.
What beauty hacks do y’all have? What do you like to do that saves you time with your routine? I’d love to hear them.
So much love for all of you.